Aberdeen Journal 28 June 1905
The marriage of Miss Geddes of Blairmore and Mr E. Allan Cameron, son of Sir Ewen Cameron, K.C.M.G. London manager of the Hong-Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation is to be celebrated in the Parish Church, Glass on 22nd July.
Aberdeen People’s Journal 29 July 1905
FASHIONABLE WEDDING AT GLASS
MISS GEDDES AND MR EWEN CAMERON
In the somewhat out-of-the-way Parish Church of Glass, near Huntly, on Saturday, Mr Ewen Cameron, eldest son of Sir Ewen Cameron, London Manager of the Hong-Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation and grandson of the late Mr William Cameron of Machorie, Inverness-shire, was married to Miss Rachael Margaret Geddes, eldest daughter of the late Mr Alexander Geddes of Blairmore and niece of the late Sir William Geddes, Principal of Aberdeen University. The ceremony was performed by the parish minister, the Rev. D.M. Ross, in presence of a large congregation, which included the invited guests and a number of the tenantry on the Blairmore estate.
The bridegroom and groomsman were in Highland dress, while the bride wore a gown of ivory satin Duchesse trimmed with point lace and mousseline de soie and caught up with horse-shoe shaped wreaths of pink roses. Mrs Geddes, the bride’s mother, held a reception at Blairmore Castle after the ceremony. The honeymoon is to be spent in Switzerland.
There were nearly 300 presents, including a massive silver tray, with engraved inscription from the employees on the estate: a very handsome antique James II silver bowl from the Blairmore tenantry: an oak and silver-mounted biscuit box with inscription, along with a silver glove stretcher, from the servants at Blairmore: and a lovely rose bowl from tradesmen in Huntly, together with many valuable gifts from friends of the bride and bridegroom in the United States, Canada, the Far East and this country.
Mrs Geddes of Blairmore entertained the tenantry on the estate at a garden party on Thursday week in honour of the marriage. The Rev. D.M. Ross introduced Mr Robertson, the oldest tenant on the estate, who formally presented the silver bowl subscribed by the tenants. Miss Geddes and Mr Ewen Cameron both returned thanks. The tenantry had an opportunity of viewing the presents, which were laid out in the billiard room.
Aberdeen Journal 23 May 1907
THE WEDDING OF MISS ROSALIND F. BRIDGE
PRESENTATION FROM GLASS
The wedding of Miss Rosalind Flora Bridge, youngest daughter of Sir Frederick Bridge M.V.O. Westminster Abbey – and Dr Stainer, which takes place at the Abbey on 1st June, has awakened much interest in the parish of Glass. As tenant of Cairnborrow Lodge, Sir Frederick and his family are well known and held in the highest regard. Their neighbours in Glass have just sent a handsome gift to Miss Bridge. It takes the form of four solid silver fruit dishes of an ornate and chaste design. One of them bears the following inscription: – Presented to Miss Rosalind Bridge, on the occasion of her marriage, by the Cairnborrow tenants and the parishioners of Glass, with their heartiest good wishes. June 1 1907.
Aberdeen Journal 1 January 1912
DIAMOND WEDDING AT GLASS
Mr and Mrs John Fettes, Corsmaul, Glass, celebrated their diamond wedding on Wednesday and the occasion was celebrated by their neighbours and friends entertaining them at tea in their own house. Owing to a recent bereavement in the family, the company was not large as it would otherwise have been. The old couple are still wonderfully hale and up till recently Mr Fettes was able to move about and do some work on the croft. Mrs Fettes is still able to attend a little to household duties. They were married on the 27th December 1851 at Aberlour, by the Rev. Dr Sellar and they have lived at Corsmaul in the same house since their marriage practically.
Mr William Collie, in proposing the health of the old couple, spoke on their kind and obliging nature in flattering terms. The ages of the couple are 89 and 82 respectively. Mr and Mrs Fettes were made the recipients of many useful gifts in honour of the occasion.
Aberdeen Journal 24 November 1919
GLASS SILVER WEDDING
Mr and Mrs James Duff, Boghead, Glass, celebrated their silver wedding on Friday evening when a number of friends and neighbours met at Boghead to congratulate them. Mr and Mrs Duff were presented with two easy chairs by their family of five sons. The usual tributes were given and responded to and a very pleasant evening was spent.
Aberdeen Journal 17 June 1922
WEDDING IN GLASS PARISH CHURCH
The marriage took place in Glass Parish Church on Thursday of Mr John Hutcheon of Ordley, Auchterless and Miss Maie Morrison, daughter of Mr and Mrs P. Morrison, Glenmoriston, Glass. The Rev. W. Guthrie officiated.
The bride wore a dress of figured crepe-de-chene, with an over-dress of silvery lace and carried a beautiful bouquet of carnations and sweet peas.
The bridesmaids were Miss Muriel Hutcheon, cousin of the bridegroom: Miss R. Munro, Miss Rhoda Ogg and Miss Dora Spiby, cousins of the bride.
Mr Hutcheon, Turriff, was groomsman.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at Glenmoriston after which the newly-married couple left on their honeymoon. The bride’s travelling costume was of brown gabardine, with smart hat to match. She also worse an ermine tie, a present from the bridegroom.
Aberdeen Journal 22 June 1927
MARRIAGE OF A GLASS NATIVE IN AMERICA
The Knoxville Journal, Knoxville, states that the marriage of Miss Anna Bess Hammer to Mr James Alexander Duff, was solemnised on June 1 at Morristown, Dr W.S. Neighbours officiating. Only a few friends and relatives witnessed the ceremony. The bride is a daughter of Mr and Mrs Walker Hammer, of Dandridge and is a social favourite. The groom is a son of Mr James Duff, Boghead, Glass.
The couple left immediately after the ceremony for New York, from where they were to sail for England, visiting London and other points of interest; stopping in Edinburgh and Glasgow on their way to Aberdeen. Upon their return to America, they will reside at Knoxville, where Mr Duff is superintendent of live stock at the University of Tennessee.
Aberdeen Journal 19 June 1933
HUNTLY BRIDE IN WHITE GEORGETTE
A pretty wedding was solemnised in Christ Church, Huntly on Saturday, the Rev. Canon Smith officiating. The contracting parties were Mr George Milne, Waterside, Glass and Miss Lily Taylor, 15 Old Road, Huntly, daughter of Mr George Taylor, builder. The church was tastefully decorated with lilies and foliage.
The bride wore a gown of white georgette with lace veil. Her sister, Miss Daisy Taylor, as bridesmaid, was in georgette of primrose hue. The bride was given away by her father.
Miss Guthrie, Old Road, was at the organ. As the bridal party entered the church the march from “Lohengrin” was played and Mendelsohn’s “Wedding March” as they left after signing the register.
Aberdeen Journal 7 January 1937
WELL-KNOWN FARMER WEDS AT HUNTLY
Members of two well-known families in Glass were married at the Huntly Hotel yesterday.
The bridegroom was Mr William Duff, Boghead, Glass and his bride was Miss Mary Duncan, Greystonefolds.
Mr Duff is well known to agriculturists, as he has had charge of his father’s well-known Aberdeen-Angus entries at all the prominent shows for some years.
The bride, a member of a popular Glass family, was accompanied by her sister, Miss Ina Duncan. Both wore brown, with hats to tone.
Mr Cumming Duff Robertson, Maryfield, Rothienorman was best man.
The Rev. W.G. Guthrie, of Glass St Andrews Church officiated.
Aberdeen Weekly Journal 12 January 1939
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on 31 December 1938 by the Rev. W.G. Guthrie B.D. William Morrison, elder son of Mr and Mrs Wm McPherson, Braehead, Glass to Mabel Margaret, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs James Fraser, Beldorney, Glass
Aberdeen Journal 28 November 1940
WED AT GLASS
Members of two well-known Glass families were married in St Andrew’s Church – Alexander, eldest son of Mr and Mrs Thomson, Haugh and Isabella Margaret, daughter of Mr and Mrs Milne, Waterside.
The wedding was costume and the bride, who was attended by her sister, Mary, was given away by her father.
Mr Bert |Thomson, Royal Engineers, was best man.
The Rev. W.G. Guthrie, assisted by the Rev. H. McKenzie, conducted the service, Miss McGregor was at the organ.
The reception was in the Gordon Arms Hotel, Huntly.
Aberdeen Weekly Journal 21 August 1941
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on 16th August by the Rev James Aitken M.A. assisted by the Rev. W.G. Guthrie B.D. George Hardy, youngest son of Mr and Mrs W. Duncan, Mains of Edinglassie to Ruby Mabel, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs W. Skene, Standuff Cottage, Kincardine O’Neil.
Aberdeen Journal 8 April 1942
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on 6th April 1942 by the Rev W.G. Guthrie, William Fraser, RAF youngest son of Mr and Mrs James Fraser, 134 Great Northern Road, Aberdeen to Mary, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs James Mackie, The Kennels, Edinglassie, Huntly.
Aberdeen Weekly Journal 4 November 1943
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on 29th October 1943 by Rev. Hugh Mackenzie, David R. Anderson, Scots Guards, eldest son of Mr and Mrs G. Anderson, Easter Oucenslie, Shettleston to Mary, fourth daughter of Mr and Mrs G Milne, Waterside, Glass.
Hull Daily Mail 5 May 1944
At the Parish Church Beverston, Glos. April 19th. Alexander Walter Donald (Cpl. R.A.F.) eldest son of Mr and Mrs A. Aitken of Bodylair, Glass, Aberdeenshire, to Joyce Sybil, eldest daughter of Mr F.L. Bryan and the late Mrs F.L. Bryan, 7 St Mary’s Walk, Beverley.
Aberdeen Weekly Journal 6 July 1944
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on 24 June 1944 by Rev Hugh MacKenzie, John Wood Fewson, only son of the late Frederick Reginald Fewson and of Mrs Fewson, Kirkstall, Leeds to Margaret A. Barclay, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs George Barclay, Pitmedden, Udny.
Aberdeen Weekly Journal 28 June 1945
Married at Glass, Huntly, sixty years ago by the late Rev. D.M. Ross, Mr and Mrs Alexander Walker, Finnercy Cottage, Kemnay, celebrated their diamond wedding quietly at home with friends and neighbours. They received telegrams and messages of congratulation from far and near.
Mr Walker is a native of Marnoch and Mrs Walker of Glass. Mr Walker was road foreman at Glass before being transferred to Kemnay and had a combined service of almost forty-eight years. On his retirement ten years ago he held the record for the longest service as a road foreman in Aberdeenshire.
There were three of a family – two sons and a daughter. The elder son was killed in the last war and the surviving son is in California. The daughter is married and resides in Aberdeen.
Mr and Mrs Walker are still both hale and hearty and are held in the highest respect by all.
Aberdeen Journal 4 July 1947
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on June 30 1947 by the Rev Donald Campbell, James Ian MacBeth, only son of James MacBeth and the late Mrs MacBeth, Lynwood Lodge, Lossiemouth to Christina, second daughter of Mr and Mrs Alex. Aitken, Wester Bodylair, Glass, Huntly
Aberdeen Journal 15 June 1948
WED IN ST ANDREW’S CHURCH, GLASS
Mr John R. McLeod, son of the late Mr and Mrs J.H. McLeod, 8 Forest Avenue, Aberdeen, was married to Miss Minnie Aitken, daughter of Mr and Mrs Alex Aitken, Wester Bodylair, Glass in St Andrew’s Church, Glass.
The bride wore a dress of white slipper satin with beaded bodice, high neckline and long, close-fitting sleeves.
Miss Dorothy Aitken, the bridesmaid, wore pale blue figured satin. Miss Margaret M.A. Henderson, niece of the bride, was flower girl. Mr Peter Black acted as best man.
Aberdeen Journal 25 July 1950
At Auchbreck Church, Glenlivet on July 19 by the Rev. A.W. Ross, Donald, second son of Mr and Mrs A. Aitken, Wester Bodylair, Glass, Huntly to Mary Ann, second daughter of Mr and Mrs P. Milner, Ivy Cottage, Shenval, Glenlivet.
Aberdeen Journal 10 August 1950
At St Andrew’s Church, Glass on July 29 by the Rev James Campbell, Cairnie, John, second son of Mr and Mrs John Forbes, 7 Yule Square, Huntly to Agnes Niven, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs George Milne, Waterside, Blairmore, Glass
Aberdeen Evening Express 8 July 1952
ABERDEEN DIAMOND WEDDING
Two of the guests who were at the wedding of Mr and Mrs George McGregor, 11 Rubislaw Park Crescent, Aberdeen, sixty years ago, attended the diamond wedding reception in Northern Hotel today.
These original guests were the brother and sister of the bridegroom of sixty years ago, who was head post master at Countesswells for thirty years until he retired in 1939.
Flowers, telegrams and cable-grams poured into the home of Mr and Mrs McGregor today and members of their family from many different parts of England were with them for the occasion.
Mr and Mrs McGregor had eight of a family of which three sons and one daughter are still living. They have five grand-children and one great grand-child.
Mr McGregor was an elder of Kingswells and Countesswells Parish Church for many years.
The wedding took place at Glass, Aberdeenshire on July 8 1892.