Glass People in the News
Huntly Express November 12 1920
COMMUNION – On Sunday the autumn Communion will be celebrated in both churches. Today is being observed as a fast day and in the Parish Church a preparatory service will be conducted by Rev. D.N. Masson, B.D. Minister of Slains.
EVENING CLASS – Last week a meeting was held in the Central School for the purpose of enrolling pupils in the evening continuation class which will be conducted by Mr Shand during the winter months. It is hoped that as many as possible will avail themselves of this opportunity to improve their education.
THANKSGIVING – On Sunday, harvest thanksgiving service was held in the Parish Church, which was decorated for the occasion with ears of corn and autumn flowers. Suitable psalms and hymns were sung, and an appropriate sermon preached by the Minister. The crop is on the whole a good one and has been secured in fairly satisfactory condition. In both respects it compares favourably with that of last year. At this season a year ago, about half the grain crop was standing out in the snow and was greatly damaged by wild birds.
GENEROUS INTEREST IN THE YOUNG FOLK – Since coming to Beldorney Castle, the young people of the district have received many kindnesses from Sir Thomas and Lady Birkett. The latest interest manifested in them by Lady Birkett is of a nature which is giving genuine pleasure to the children. At her own expense, Lady Birkett has engages Miss Guthrie, Huntly to give scholars at Beldorney School, instruction in dancing and the lessons, admirably given, are affording much delight. In the adult class – held later in the day – Lady Birkett also shows her generous concern by being responsible for lighting, cleaning and any damage that may be done. Needless to say, all those kindly and gracious acts are much appreciated by those who share in them. In the carrying on of the classes, much assistance, of various kinds, is readily given by the respected teacher, Miss McHardy.
Huntly Express 11 August 1922
THE LATE MR J.M. ABERDEIN, GLASS
The funeral of Mr John M. Aberdein. General Merchant, Glass, took place from his residence at The Haugh to the parish churchyard on Saturday. The large concourse of mourners testified the high esteem in which the deceased was held – a large number being present from the Huntly district. The chief mourners were – Master James M. Aberdein (son): Messrs Donald Sinclair, solicitor (brother-in-law): R. Milne, John Milne and Robert Milne, Aboyne (cousins): the Rev. John Scott, Auchterless: Messrs James Pirie, Aberdeen: William Watt, Insch: and James Morrison, Huntly (brother-in-law). The members of the local Lodge of Oddfellows of which Mr Aberdein was treasurer, attended wearing the regalia of their order. Impressive services were conducted at the house and churchyard by the Rev. W.G. Guthrie and A.G. Murdoch.
In concluding his sermon on Sunday in Glass Parish Church, Rev. W.G. Guthrie made the following reference to the deceased: – Death has busy amongst us during these recent months. Since the beginning of March, eight of our fellow-parishioners have been laid in the grave. Most of these have been old and well stricken in years, but yesterday we followed to the churchyard the mortal remains of one who was cut off In the midst of his days. John Aberdein was brought into contact with a large public and he served it well. This was the more remarkable when we consider that during the whole of his business career he was battling with ill-health. Few, if any, beyond his own home circle knew the difficulties he had to contend with. He kept his trials to himself and gave us what was best and strongest in him.
He was honest and upright in all his duties, a devoted husband and father, a good neighbour, a loyal friend and a sincere and humble Christian. I shall miss him from his familiar place in church. May the God of all consolation comfort his sorrowing widow and little children and his aged mother, who was so long and so honourably known among you.
Aberdeen Journal 23 May 1924
All Parties having CLAIMS against the late Mr GEORGE MACPHERSON, of Edinglassie and Glenmarkie, Huntly, are requested to lodge the same, within one week from this date, with Messrs. COCKRAN & MACPHERSON, Advocates, 152 Union Street, Aberdeen 22nd May 1924
Aberdeen Journal 8 August 1924
HUNTLY LAIRD’S WILL
ESTATE OF MR G. MACPHERSON OF EDINGLASSIE
Alderman George Macpherson, D.L., J.P., of the Lloyd House, Penn, Wolverhampton, Staffs, and of Edinglassie Lodge, Huntly, Aberdeenshire, ironmaster, deputy chairman of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Co., and a director of Barclay’s Bank, Ltd., who died on April 24 inst, aged 72 years, left unsettled property of the gross value of £126,370, with net £115,484.
He left £1000 in all to found hospitals at Wolverhampton; £200 to his butler, A. Granthen, if still in his service; £100 each similarly to his chauffeur, Harry Leonard Tipton, his gamekeeper, George Smith, and his gardener, John Jay; one year’s wages to each indoor house servant – excluding the butler – and the caretaker at EDINGLASSIE LODGE.
He left to his wife £500, his farm stock, etc., all debts due to him in respect of his farm business, his personal effects, horses, carriages, motors, etc., and all other of his effects at the Lloyd House. He left £500 to his cousin, John Farquhar Gordon; £250 each to May and Madge, sisters of his said cousin; £250 to each child of his brother-in-law, Hubert Marten, attaining majority; £250 to his godson, Neville Grazebrook; £50 to each of his sisters-in-law, Charlotte, Mabel and Muriel Addenbrooke, and Annie Thomasset.
He left the Lloyd House Estate, Penn and his EDINGLASSIE AND GLEN MARKIE ESTATES and his effects at EDINGLASSIE, upon trust for his wife during widowhood, with remainder to his daughter and her issue, whom failing, as to the Lloyd House Estate to follow the residue of his property, and the EDINGLASSIE AND GLEN MARKIE ESTATES to his cousin, John Farquhar Gordon. The residue of his property he left as to three-fourths upon trust for his wife during widowhood, or to pay to her a life annuity of £500 in the event of her remarriage, and subject thereto upon trust for his said daughter and her issue.
Failing these trusts he left £5000 each to the four Wolverhampton hospitals already referred to, and £5000 to the Church of England Missionary Society; £20,000 to his said cousin, John Farquhar Gordon; £2500 each to May and Madge, sisters of his said cousin: £2000 equally between the children of his brother-in-law; Hubert Bindon Marten; and the ultimate residue to the British Red Cross Society and/or such other societies, hospitals, or institutions as may have been founded or established for the relief, cure, care, maintenance or support of wounded and disabled or blinded soldiers or sailors, in such proportions and upon such conditions as his trustees in their discretion may think fit.
Huntly Express 11 May 11 1934
Important Displenish sale at
Mains of Cairnborrow, Glass on
Saturday 19th May 1934
The Subscribers, favoured with instructions will sell by Public Roup, the Whole STOCKING, IMPLEMENTS, KITCHEN AND DAIRY UTENSILS etc. belonging to the Trust Estate of Mr William Robertson, as undernoted –
HORSES:- Brown Mare, 6 years old: Grey Filly, 3 years old: Black Gelding, 4 years old: Grey Gelding, 3 years old: Brown Mare, 5 years due to Foal 21st June; Black Mare 9 years old, with Filly Foal at foot; 2 Fillies, rising 2 years old, and 2 Fillies, rising 1 year old (all sired by “Craigie Endeavour”) The above Work Horses are good workers at all farm work and up to a good size.
80 CATTLE: – 3 Dairy Cows (calved): 2 Heifers (calved, milking): 6 B.P. Heifers, calved with 1 Calf each at foot: 10 B.P. Cows (mostly young) with 2 Calves each at foot: 3 Cows, with 1 Calf each at foot: 1 Heifer in Calf; 1 Weaned Calf: 6 Bullocks rising 2 years old (in very forward condition); 19 Yearling Bullock and Heifer Stirks (all Black and Blue Polled):1 A.A.Bull, 3 years old, good server and stock –getter. The above Cattle are practically all B.P. and home-bred.
PIGS, POULTRY AND APPLIANCES:- 1 L.W. Sow, due to farrow June: 100 Head of Poultry: 4 Portable Poultry Houses and Chicken Coops.
IMPLEMENTS;- 6 Box Carts (complete) 2 Long Cart Bodies: 4 Single Sock Ploughs: 2 D.B. Ploughs: 4 Sets Iron Harrows, S.T. Harrow: 2 Metal Rollers: 2 Three-Tined Grubbers: Broadcast and Turnip Sowers: Manure Distributor: 1 Albion and 1 McCormick Binder: B.D. Reaper: 2 Horse Rakes: Chain Harrows: Barn Fan: Steelyard and Wrights: 3 Farm Sledges: 1 Road Sledge: Spring Cart: 50 gallon Paraffin Tank: Quantity of Turnip Seed: Potato and other Riddles: Box Barrows: Plump Turnip Hasher: Peat Barrow: Cake Breaker: Pig Box: 3 Shims: Ground stone: Sack Barrow: Sluice and Water Wheel (iron frame): Rick Posts and Bosses; and all the usual Minor Hand Tools etc.
Sheep and Stack Nets: 6 Sets Cart and Plough Harness: Quantity Kerr’s Pink and Golden Wonder Potatoes.
HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE;- Kitchen Table: Chairs: Pots and Pans: Girdle: Berry Pan: Wash Tub: Kitchen Crockery and Cutlery: Dairy Utensils: Alarm Clock: Iron Bedsteads and Bedding: 2 Small Tables: Dining Table: Easy Chair and 6 Single Chairs in L.C.: Sofa: Linoleum: Bookcase: Lamps and Lantern: Umbrella Stand and a collection of Sundries etc.
Sale to commence at 10.30 am with Minor Hand Implements: Cattle and Horse about 1.30 pm
Mr McGilvray, Huntly Hotel, Huntly will supply Luncheons and Refreshments at moderate charges.
REITH & ANDERSPM. LTD. Auctioneers.
Huntly Express 1958
Ralph Gauld was a born salesman, an excellent raconteur of humorous anecdotes culled from his life of varied and interesting experiences and even without expert training a very capable motor mechanic.
Early in life Ralph was employed in farm work, but a natural love for mechanics made him take up the occupation of chauffeur at Aberlour. All through service in the first World War Ralph was a motor driver and on his demobilisation continued to follow that occupation. He subsequently became chauffeur at Invermarkie Lodge.
In 1926, in collaboration with his younger brother, the late Mr Dick Gauld, he started a small cycle depot at their home at Parkhaugh, Glass. The business begun as a spare-time hobby to occupy leisure hours in the evening, was gradually built up into a thriving agricultural engineering concern, which in less than twenty years from the time of its inception, bore more resemblance to a small factory than it did to the little workshop where the brothers began.
He later acquired land at Cairnie and developed it into a modern filling station with accommodation and facilities for the carrying out of running repairs. The place was called “The Ashgrove”.
19 July 1965 from the Press and Journal
CITY NEWSAGENT DIES AGED 62
A man who had experience of trade in various departments, including transport, catering and bookselling has died in Aberdeen at the age of 62.
Mr Osbert W. Wood, who for some years carried on a successful carrier’s business between Huntly and Aberdeen, was a son of the late Mr David Wood who was headmaster at Glass for some years.
After Mr Wood met his death in a road accident, his widow and family lived at Artloch, Longhill and it was there that Osbert Wood spent his boyhood.
After giving up his carrier’s business he was a restaurateur in Aberdeen and subsequently acquired a newsagent’s business at 77 Rosemount Viaduct, which he was carrying on at the time of his death.
He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
1970 from the Press and Journal
GLASS NATIVE DIES SUDDENLY AT GLENRINNES
The death occurred suddenly while feeding sheep at Wester Aultbeg, Glenrinnes n Thursday of Mr Roalyen Gordon, he was born and reared at Market Hill, Glass and on leaving school adopted the profession of shepherd of which he was passionately fond.
In his early twenties he joined the police at Edinburgh and served for twenty-nine years. Even during his police days his interest in sheep never waned and he spent nearly all his holidays every year as a lambing shepherd.
On retiring from the police, he returned to herding and was for a time employed by MacRobert Farms (Douneside) Ltd. He had been shepherd at Glenrinnes Home Farm for the past seven years.
He is survived by his wife and a son who is in the police in Renfrewshire. Mr Gordon was in his 60th year.
This article is from a newspaper about 1970.
We are not sure of the spelling of Horn(e) for this man as it varies from document to document.
GLASS MAN’S MASONIC RELIC
An interesting Masonic relic has come to light by the offer of Mr Alexander Horn, Straitinnan, Glass, to place in safe keeping of a masonic lodge, a certificate which belonged to his paternal grand-uncle.
The certificate, bearing the date 26th March 1828, was issued to Mr William Horn by Lodge St James (Operative) No. 250, Keith. Mr Horn was a stone mason to trade and therefore eligible for admission to an operative lodge.
Masonic certificates of these days were considerably less elaborate than in modern times. Whereas certificates nowadays and for many years back are printed in italics, Mr Horn’s one is executed in faultless calligraphy and duly signed by the principal office-bearers.
Today the seal of a masonic lodge is imprinted on the certificate, but in 1828 it was placed in a small metal container and attached to the certificate by means of a ribbon.
Since his grand-uncle joined the craft at Keith, Mr Horn thought it fitting that the certificate should be returned to that lodge, if the office-bearers agreed to accept it as a suitable relic.
The lodge at Keith is no longer an operative one and the number has for many years been No. 713. The office-bearers will consider the relic in the next few days.
A Freemason who examined the certificate commented on the excellence of the handwriting, saying “Those who say handwriting is a lost art have some justification if anyone cares to look at that. The millions spent on education at the present day would never produce anything to compare with anything so artistic.”
LONG CONNECTION WITH GLASS SEVERED
When recently Mr Alexander Horne and his sisters, Mrs Duncan and Miss Elsie Horne, moved from Glass to their present residence 78 Scott Drive, Huntly, it was a link severed with the parish, at least from the agricultural angle.
There is still one member of the family staying in Glass. Mr George Horne, a retired policeman and his wife live at Waterside of Blairmore.
The family farmed in Glass for around three centuries. Hornes farmed at Bodylair, at Westerpark and at Boghead and possibly in other farms in the parish.
The three mentioned in the opening paragraph of this article took an active part in the public and social life of the district. Mr Horne was for many years session clerk of the Church, besides taking an active interest in all pertaining to its welfare. Miss Horne had a long connection with drama, while both sisters were active in the Woman’s Guild and the W.R.I.
Naturally the people of Glass could not allow their way going to pass without some tangible token of esteem in which they were held.
A deputation representing the people of Glass and some from further afield, visited the family in their new home and presented them with suitable gifts. These consisted of an electric fire complete with surround and mantelpiece, an electric clock and a fireside chair.
The deputation was composed of Mr George Duncan, Merchant, Haugh of Glass; Mr James Duff, Netherton; and Mr Gordon Gauld, Auldyne.
It is hoped that in his complete retirement, Mr Horne will devote still more time to his researches into the local history of his native parish of which he is a veritable mine of information.
Mr Alexander Horn died on March 18 1982 in a hospital in Aberdeen
A Manuscript A HISTORY OF GLASS by Alec Horn was written in 1966
Huntly Express January 1973
RETIRED KEITH CAFÉ OWNER
A Glass man who went from farming to catering and confectionery in middle age, Mr Alexander Gartly, “Hill rise” Keith, has died aged 79.
Mr Gartly was born and reared at Wrightistone, Beldorney, Glass, which had been the family home for generations. When a young man, he took over the neighbouring farm of Backside and ran both farms as a single unit.
In 1929 he gave up the tenancy of Backside and Wrightistone and leased Midthird, Botriphnie, where he farmed for fifteen years. He decided to give up farming and although then over fifty and with no business experience, he set up as a confectioner and care proprietor at 94 Mid Street, Keith.
In this he proved eminently successful and eventually with his sons and daughters to assist him in running it his business became one of the best known and most popular for miles around.
Mr Gartly retired some years ago but his sons still carry on.
In his younger days, Mr Gartly had many interests ranging from amateur drama to athletics and champion ploughing matches.
Only once did he compete at a ploughing match and was placed first in the champion class, but his interest remained keen long after he had left off farming.
Predeceased by his wife, a son and a daughter, he is survived by four sons and two daughters. His funeral from St Rufus Church to Broomhill Cemetery, Keith on Tuesday was largely attended.
Huntly Express 1 March 1974
VETERAN GLASS HEAD ‘KEEPER’ PASSES
The death of Mr George Milne, retired gamekeeper, removes a personality known to many in all ranks of society. He was in his 91st year.
Mr Milne was a much respected resident of Glass. He was for many years an elder in Glass Church and he was known to everyone, whether resident on the Blairmore estate or not.
Possessed of a dry humour, he could recount many incidents, both grave and gay, which happened in Glass during his sixty years there.
Kindly and hospitable, everyone was made to feel at home at Waterside of Blairmore by Mr and Mrs Milne.
He was predeceased by Mrs Milne in January 1969 and is survived by a son and four daughters. During his later years, he resided with his youngest daughter, Agnes and her husband Mr John Forbes, “Lonach”, East Park Street, Huntly.
He came as an underkeeper to Blairmore House, Glass in 1899. He was fond of recalling how, on the first Sunday after his arrival, he climbed to the top of a hill from which he obtained a splendid view. He said “On looking round I said to myself, I’ll nae be lang here.”
George Milne’s reminiscences are in a wonderful book “Where Deveron Flows” compiled by his grandson Andrew Duncan
Hull Daily Mail 8 August 1932
A Manchester City Police officer, Constable John Duff, collapsed after taking part in a tug-of-war at Wolverhampton on Saturday and died in Wolverhampton Royal Hospital. An inquest will be held today. The news was received with general regret by officers in “B” Division, Manchester, with which Duff had served for seven years. He came from Glass, Aberdeenshire and was only 27
PULLED TWO HEATS
The tug-of-war was between Manchester and Wolverhampton at the Wolverhampton police sports. He pulled two belts with team, but was taken ill and after leaving the arena, collapsed,
Aberdeen Journal 8 August 1932
POLICEMAN’S FATE IN TUG-OF-WAR
BURST BLOOD-VESSEL AND DIED; NATIVE OF GLASS
As a result of bursting a blood vessel in his head while pulling in a tug-of-war team at Wolverhampton on Saturday, a member of the Manchester City Police, a native of Glass, Aberdeenshire, died in the Royal Hospital, Wolverhampton, yesterday.
He was Constable John Duff, son of Mr James Duff, farmer, Easter Boghead, Glass. He joined the Manchester Police a few years ago and was a promising young constable, being popular alike with colleagues and superiors.
His brother, Fred, is a member of the Metropolitan Force.
Edinburgh Evening News 8 August 1932
TRAGEDY AT A POLICE SPORTS MEETING
A Manchester city police officer, Constable John Duff, collapsed after taking part in a tug-of-war at Wolverhampton on Saturday and died in Wolverhampton Royal Hospital. Duff had served in “B” Division, Manchester, for seven years. He came from Glass, Aberdeenshire and was only 27.
The tug-of-war was between Manchester and Wolverhampton at the Wolverhampton police sports. He pulled two heats with the team, but was taken hill and after leaving the arena, collapsed.