Glass Folk who moved to America
- James Alexander Duff born Glass March 1897 became a Naturalized Citizen of Tennessee USA 26 May 1942
James Alexander Duff, son of James and Maggie Duff, was born at Glass on 25 March 1897.
As far as Marina Alexander can gather, at the age of 24 he left Liverpool on board the Megantic to farm in Canada. He arrived at Quebec on May 15 1921 and his final destination was Angus Farm, Oakwood, Ontario and his employer there was to be G.C. Hammer.
He can be found on several Border Crossings between Canada and the USA from 1923 onwards crossing the border at Detroit, Michigan.
On 12 June 1927 he arrived at Plymouth, England having sailed from New York, USA on board the Pentland accompanied by his wife Anna B. Duff and his occupation was given as Herdsman. He had married Ann Bess Hamer on 1 June 1927 at Morristown, Tennessee – she was born at Dandridge, Tennessee on 10 March 1895 and her father was Walter Hammer.
They left from Greenock on the Regina on 20 August 1927 via Montreal, Canada and crossed the border into USA at Detroit, Michigan.
Marina is not sure where the family were in 1930 but she did find them on the US 1940 census living at Blount, Tennessee with their family. He was a Farm Manager.
When James applied for Naturalization on 26 May 1942 the following information was given on the form.
His residence was Mac Mor Farms, Mentor, Tennessee, he was a livestock manager aged 44. He was 6 ft. in height; dark complexion; grey eyes; and brown hair. His children were James Walter born 1928; Ada Margaret born 1929 and Jean Elizabeth born 1931 all at Knoxville, Tennessee.
He died on 11th April 1977 and is buried at Green Hills Memory Gardens, Pennville, Chattooga County, Georgia, USA and is his wife Anna Bess who died in December 1982.
- Alexander Wright born Glass August 1855 became a Naturalized Citizen of Massachusetts USA December 1912
- Georgina Gordon Lewis born Midtown, Glass October 1916 became a Naturalized Citizen at Seattle, Washington, USA in July 1957.
- Her maiden name was Morrison and she had arrived in Blaine, Washington, USA from Vancouver, Canada in July 1939 to be married to Ralph Alexander Lewis.
- In August 1941 their daughter Barbara Anne was born and in February 1942 their son Gordon James was born.
- Mrs Jessie Robertson Dunbar born Glass March 1855, Residence Cleveland, Ohio applied for US Passport May 1919
- Elizabeth Duncan Lane, born about 1872 Glass, married, household duties, died 27 September 1961, Moorefield, Hardy Co. Virginia, USA